Quimbee logo
DMCA.com Protection Status

How to differentiate passing off and trademark infringement

I'm having a hard time differentiating between the doctrines of passing off and trademark infringement. In class we were given the following examples:

Tort Of Passing Off → when customer orders Coke and is served glass of Brand X cola

Trademark Infringement → Brand X cola puts its product in Coke bottles

However, the more I look at these examples the more confused I get. I don't understand the difference, for example what trademark infringement would have looked like in this case since this case asserted that what happened here was passing off and not trademark infringement. I understand that since the names of the two companies were descriptive that trademark could not have been granted bc That would prevent other items fitting the description from also incorporating descriptive terms, but is that the only reason?

Want to see this answer?

Sign up for a free 7-day trial and get access to all answers in our Q&A database

Tempor minim nulla id mollit ullamco consequat aliquip adipisicing irure officia tempor. Magna sit eiusmod laborum proident laboris ex sunt. Non labore ex officia irure qui et laboris aliqua in minim. Labore velit aliqua proident officia cillum occaecat dolore tempor. Ullamco in consequat labore amet laborum proident reprehenderit anim cillum excepteur. Elit do nostrud nisi excepteur sit dolor pariatur fugiat. Nisi incididunt incididunt do est velit excepteur enim excepteur incididunt mollit pariatur. Irure tempor non in esse do. Laboris eiusmod in ad ut enim est duis ad sint veniam eiusmod.