Astley Scott (plaintiff) was an electrician hired by Barbara Boddie (defendant) to fix an electrical outlet in her house. Scott was in the basement repairing the outlet when he heard calls from Boddie asking for help. Scott ran upstairs and saw that Boddie’s house was on fire because of grease burning in a pan that Boddie had left unattended. Scott asked Boddie whether she had anything to put out the fire, but she did not respond. Scott then grabbed the pan and began walking toward the door, burning himself with oil as he walked. Once Scott approached the door, he threw the pan outside, causing more oil to spill on him and severely burn him. Scott brought suit against Boddie for negligence, and the jury found in his favor. Boddie appealed, arguing Scott assumed the risk of his injury.