Use Quimbee’s Property Law Outline and Quickline to ace your final exam in property law or to supplement your preparation for the Multistate Bar Examination (MBE). Professionally written and fully accessible 24/7 on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices, Quimbee’s Property Law Outline covers present and future interests, concurrent ownership, restrictive covenants, the rule against perpetuities, restraints on alienation, transfers of interests in real property, recording acts, and water rights.
Introduction and Summary: Estates in Land: Present Possessory Estates, Future Interests, and Conveyances
The term “estate,” as used in property law, means “[t]he amount, degree, nature, and quality of a person’s interest in land or other property.” [Black’s Law Dictionary (9th Ed. 2009), estate] There are two basic types of estates in land: present possessory estates (or possessory estates, for short) and future interests.
Present Possessory Estates
A possessory estate affords the holder of the estate the present right to possess the property. The possessory estates are further subdivided into two basic categories: the freehold estates and the non-freehold estates. [See 28 Am. Jur. 2d Estates §§ 11, 130]
The freehold estates confer the present right of possession for an indefinite period of time or, at the very least, for the life of the holder. They are: the fee simple estates, the life estate, and the fee tail. [Id.]
This is a preview of Quimbee's outline on Property. You can purchase the full outline for a one-time payment of $29.
All Quimbee Outlines include:
- PDF or Word document download
- Integration with Quimbee's library of case briefs
- Black letter law and relevant exceptions
- Real-world examples to illustrate difficult concepts
- Everything you need to score an A on your final exam
- 24/7 access on desktop, tablet or mobile devices
Here's why 89,000+ law students use Quimbee:
- Reliable - all content written by law professors and practitioners
- Access to over 7,542 case briefs keyed to 85 casebooks
- Massive library of on-demand video lessons and practice questions for 1Ls, 2Ls and 3Ls
- Top-notch customer support
- Unlimited, 24/7 access on desktop, mobile, or tablet devices