Logourl black
From our private database of 14,100+ case briefs...

Aoki v. Aoki

Supreme Court of New York, Appellate Division
985 N.Y.S.2d 523 (2014)


Facts

Rocky Aoki, the founder of Benihana restaurants, created the Benihana Protective Trust (BPT) to hold assets relating to Benihana. To serve as trustees, Aoki named two of his six children, Kevin and Kana Aoki, and his longtime attorney, Darwin Dornbush (plaintiffs). The BPT gave Rocky the power to appoint beneficiaries of BPT assets through his will. Several years later, Rocky married Keiko Aoki. Concerned about Keiko’s access to BPT assets upon Rocky’s death, the trustees persuaded Rocky to execute an irrevocable partial release by which he restricted his appointive power so as to benefit one or more descendants only. [A few months later, Rocky signed a second, similar release with minor alterations because of a change in federal tax regulations.] After Rocky’s relationship with his children deteriorated, Rocky signed a codicil in which he purported to exercise his power of appointment, giving 25 percent of the BPT to Keiko outright and income from the remaining 75 percent to Keiko during her lifetime. Rocky later executed a new will in which he restated the appointment of trust assets and income to Keiko but added that, if the exercise of such appointive power were deemed invalid, he exercised his power by giving Devon and Steven Aoki each 50 percent of the BPT. After Rocky’s death, the trustees petitioned for a determination of the validity of the partial releases. [The trial court ruled that the partial releases were invalid. Devon and Steven appealed.]

Rule of Law

The rule of law is the black letter law upon which the court rested its decision.

To access this section, please start your free trial or log in.

Issue

The issue section includes the dispositive legal issue in the case phrased as a question.

To access this section, please start your free trial or log in.

Holding and Reasoning (Per Curiam)

The holding and reasoning section includes:

  • A "yes" or "no" answer to the question framed in the issue section;
  • A summary of the majority or plurality opinion, using the CREAC method; and
  • The procedural disposition (e.g. reversed and remanded, affirmed, etc.).

To access this section, please start your free trial or log in.

What to do next…

  1. Unlock this case brief with a free (no-commitment) trial membership of Quimbee.

    You’ll be in good company: Quimbee is one of the most widely used and trusted sites for law students, serving more than 97,000 law students since 2011. Some law schools—such as Yale, Vanderbilt, Berkeley, and the University of Illinois—even subscribe directly to Quimbee for all their law students. Read our student testimonials.

  2. Learn more about Quimbee’s unique (and proven) approach to achieving great grades at law school.

    Quimbee is a company hell-bent on one thing: helping you get an “A” in every course you take in law school, so you can graduate at the top of your class and get a high-paying law job. We’re not just a study aid for law students; we’re the study aid for law students. Read more about Quimbee.

Here's why 222,000 law students have relied on our case briefs:

  • Written by law professors and practitioners, not other law students. 14,100 briefs, keyed to 189 casebooks. Top-notch customer support.
  • The right amount of information, includes the facts, issues, rule of law, holding and reasoning, and any concurrences and dissents.
  • Access in your classes, works on your mobile and tablet. Massive library of related video lessons and high quality multiple-choice questions.
  • Easy to use, uniform format for every case brief. Written in plain English, not in legalese. Our briefs summarize and simplify; they don’t just repeat the court’s language.