Quimbee logo
DMCA.com Protection Status
From our private database of 16,400+ case briefs...

Cheatham v. Pohle

Indiana Supreme Court
789 N.E.2d 467 (Ind. 2003)


After Doris Cheatham (plaintiff) and Michael Pohle (defendant) divorced, Pohle kept naked pictures of Cheatham. Pohle then made photocopies of the pictures, added Cheatham’s personal information and posted them around the community where she lived. Cheatham brought suit for invasion of privacy and intentional infliction of emotional distress. The jury awarded her $100,000 in compensatory damages and $100,000 in punitive damages. An Indiana statute provided that 75 percent of punitive damages awarded in civil actions be paid to the state with the other 25 percent paid to the plaintiff. Cheatham appealed on the grounds that paying 75 percent of her punitive damages to the state constituted a violation of the Takings Clause of the Fifth Amendment and the Indiana Constitution.

Rule of Law


Holding and Reasoning (Boehm, J.)

What to do next…

  1. Unlock this case brief with a free (no-commitment) trial membership of Quimbee.

    You’ll be in good company: Quimbee is one of the most widely used and trusted sites for law students, serving more than 97,000 law students since 2011. Some law schools—such as Yale, Vanderbilt, Berkeley, and the University of Illinois—even subscribe directly to Quimbee for all their law students. Read our student testimonials.

  2. Learn more about Quimbee’s unique (and proven) approach to achieving great grades at law school.

    Quimbee is a company hell-bent on one thing: helping you get an “A” in every course you take in law school, so you can graduate at the top of your class and get a high-paying law job. We’re not just a study aid for law students; we’re the study aid for law students. Read more about Quimbee.

Here's why 373,000 law students have relied on our case briefs:

  • Written by law professors and practitioners, not other law students. 16,400 briefs, keyed to 223 casebooks. Top-notch customer support.
  • The right amount of information, includes the facts, issues, rule of law, holding and reasoning, and any concurrences and dissents.
  • Access in your classes, works on your mobile and tablet. Massive library of related video lessons and high quality multiple-choice questions.
  • Easy to use, uniform format for every case brief. Written in plain English, not in legalese. Our briefs summarize and simplify; they don’t just repeat the court’s language.

Questions & Answers

Have a question about this case?

Sign up for a free 7-day trial and ask it

Sign up for a FREE 7-day trial