Quimbee logo
DMCA.com Protection Status
From our private database of 16,500+ case briefs...

Clark v. Dodge

Court of Appeals of New York
199 N.E 641 (N.Y. 1936)

Clark v. Dodge


Clark (plaintiff) owned 25 percent of each of two corporations. Dodge (defendant) owned the other 75 percent of each. Clark was a director and the general manager of Bell & Co., Inc. (Bell), one of the corporations. The corporations manufactured medicinal preparations by secret methods and formulas known only to Clark. Dodge and Clark entered into an agreement that provided that Clark would disclose the secret formula to a son of Dodge and in return, Dodge would vote his stock so that (1) Clark would continue to be a director of Bell; (2) Clark would continue to be the general manager of Bell as long as he was “faithful, efficient and competent;” (3) during his lifetime, Clark would receive ¼ of the net income of the corporations; and (4) no unreasonable salaries would be paid to other officers of the corporations which would reduce the net income. Clark brought suit, claiming that Dodge did not use his stock to maintain Clark as director and general manager and that Dodge hired “incompetent persons at excessive salaries” so as to reduce the portion of net income paid to Clark. The appellate court dismissed the complaint. Clark appealed.

Rule of Law


Holding and Reasoning (Crouch, J.)

What to do next…

  1. Unlock this case brief with a free (no-commitment) trial membership of Quimbee.

    You’ll be in good company: Quimbee is one of the most widely used and trusted sites for law students, serving more than 97,000 law students since 2011. Some law schools—such as Yale, Vanderbilt, Berkeley, and the University of Illinois—even subscribe directly to Quimbee for all their law students. Read our student testimonials.

  2. Learn more about Quimbee’s unique (and proven) approach to achieving great grades at law school.

    Quimbee is a company hell-bent on one thing: helping you get an “A” in every course you take in law school, so you can graduate at the top of your class and get a high-paying law job. We’re not just a study aid for law students; we’re the study aid for law students. Read more about Quimbee.

Here's why 408,000 law students have relied on our case briefs:

  • Written by law professors and practitioners, not other law students. 16,500 briefs, keyed to 223 casebooks. Top-notch customer support.
  • The right amount of information, includes the facts, issues, rule of law, holding and reasoning, and any concurrences and dissents.
  • Access in your classes, works on your mobile and tablet. Massive library of related video lessons and high quality multiple-choice questions.
  • Easy to use, uniform format for every case brief. Written in plain English, not in legalese. Our briefs summarize and simplify; they don’t just repeat the court’s language.

Questions & Answers

Have a question about this case?

Sign up for a free 7-day trial and ask it

Sign up for a FREE 7-day trial