White (defendant) owned two multifamily residential buildings in Connecticut. One of the buildings was in East Hartford. In May 1982, White was directed to install smoke detectors in that building, and he did so. However, White did not install smoke detectors in his other building, which was in New Britain. On Christmas Day, 1982, the New Britain building caught on fire. The fire started on the second floor, due to an electrical overload on a wall outlet. The fire was slow burning and generated significant smoke. The residents on the first floor escaped, but the residents on the second floor died of smoke inhalation. The State of Connecticut (plaintiff) charged White with violating the state fire safety code and the general fire safety statute. After the state finished its proof, White moved to dismiss the charges. The trial court denied the motion, and the jury convicted White. White appealed.