Quimbee logo
DMCA.com Protection Status
From our private database of 18,800+ case briefs...

McWane, Inc. v. Federal Trade Commission

United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
783 F.3d 814 (2015)


McWane, Inc. (McWane) (defendant) held 100 percent of the domestic pipe-fitting market from 2006 to 2009. In September 2009, Star Pipe Fittings (Star), an international pipe-fitting manufacturer, entered the domestic market. That same month McWane implemented a program to encourage its distributors to buy exclusively from McWane. Under this program, if a distributor did not buy exclusively from McWane, it would lose accrued rebates and be cut off from any McWane purchases for 12 weeks. McWane also raised its prices after Star’s entry into the market. By 2011 Star’s domestic market share had risen to 10 percent, but McWane retained the other 90 percent. Despite Star’s prices being lower than McWane’s, there is evidence that firms bought from McWane solely because of the exclusive-dealing threat. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) (plaintiff) brought an enforcement action against McWane and found that McWane’s exclusivity scheme violated antitrust law. McWane appealed the FTC’s order.

Rule of Law


Holding and Reasoning (Marcus, J.)

What to do next…

  1. Unlock this case brief with a free (no-commitment) trial membership of Quimbee.

    You’ll be in good company: Quimbee is one of the most widely used and trusted sites for law students, serving more than 498,000 law students since 2011. Some law schools—such as Yale, Vanderbilt, Berkeley, and the University of Illinois—even subscribe directly to Quimbee for all their law students. Read our student testimonials.

  2. Learn more about Quimbee’s unique (and proven) approach to achieving great grades at law school.

    Quimbee is a company hell-bent on one thing: helping you get an “A” in every course you take in law school, so you can graduate at the top of your class and get a high-paying law job. We’re not just a study aid for law students; we’re the study aid for law students. Read more about Quimbee.

Here's why 498,000 law students have relied on our case briefs:

  • Written by law professors and practitioners, not other law students. 18,800 briefs, keyed to 985 casebooks. Top-notch customer support.
  • The right amount of information, includes the facts, issues, rule of law, holding and reasoning, and any concurrences and dissents.
  • Access in your classes, works on your mobile and tablet. Massive library of related video lessons and high quality multiple-choice questions.
  • Easy to use, uniform format for every case brief. Written in plain English, not in legalese. Our briefs summarize and simplify; they don’t just repeat the court’s language.

Questions & Answers

Have a question about this case?

Sign up for a free 7-day trial and ask it

Sign up for a FREE 7-day trial