Quimbee logo
DMCA.com Protection Status

Philip Morris Brands SARL v. Uruguay

No. ARB/10/7 (2016)

Case BriefRelatedOptions
From our private database of 33,800+ case briefs...

Philip Morris Brands SARL v. Uruguay

International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes

No. ARB/10/7 (2016)

Facts

Between 2008 and 2009, Uruguay (defendant) enacted two imposing restrictions on tobacco products. Under the Single Presentation Requirement (SPR), Uruguay restricted cigarette brands sold in Uruguay to sell under a single variant of cigarette. Before the adoption of the SPR, the subsidiary of Philip Morris Brands SARL (plaintiff) located in Uruguay sold six different brands with 13 variants. Under the 80/80 Regulation, Uruguay required cigarette packages to display health warnings covering at least 80 percent of the packages; the remaining 20 percent of the package was available for trademarks. Philip Morris Brands brought a challenge under a bilateral investment treaty (BIT) between Switzerland and Uruguay, alleging these two public laws deprived Philip Morris Brands of its intellectual property rights and constituted an expropriation. Philip Morris Brands argued the existence of a public health issue does not exempt Uruguay from its obligation to pay Philip Morris Brands for the loss the brand suffered due to the changes in the public health laws.

Rule of Law

Issue

Holding and Reasoning

What to do next…

  1. Unlock this case brief with a free (no-commitment) trial membership of Quimbee.

    You’ll be in good company: Quimbee is one of the most widely used and trusted sites for law students, serving more than 604,000 law students since 2011. Some law schools—such as Yale, Berkeley, and Northwestern—even subscribe directly to Quimbee for all their law students.

    Unlock this case briefRead our student testimonials
  2. Learn more about Quimbee’s unique (and proven) approach to achieving great grades at law school.

    Quimbee is a company hell-bent on one thing: helping you get an “A” in every course you take in law school, so you can graduate at the top of your class and get a high-paying law job. We’re not just a study aid for law students; we’re the study aid for law students.

    Learn about our approachRead more about Quimbee

Here's why 604,000 law students have relied on our case briefs:

  • Written by law professors and practitioners, not other law students. 33,800 briefs, keyed to 984 casebooks. Top-notch customer support.
  • The right amount of information, includes the facts, issues, rule of law, holding and reasoning, and any concurrences and dissents.
  • Access in your classes, works on your mobile and tablet. Massive library of related video lessons and high quality multiple-choice questions.
  • Easy to use, uniform format for every case brief. Written in plain English, not in legalese. Our briefs summarize and simplify; they don’t just repeat the court’s language.

Access this case brief for FREE

With a 7-day free trial membership
Here's why 604,000 law students have relied on our case briefs:
  • Reliable - written by law professors and practitioners, not other law students
  • The right length and amount of information - includes the facts, issue, rule of law, holding and reasoning, and any concurrences and dissents
  • Access in your class - works on your mobile and tablet
  • 33,800 briefs - keyed to 984 casebooks
  • Uniform format for every case brief
  • Written in plain English - not in legalese and not just repeating the court's language
  • Massive library of related video lessons - and practice questions
  • Top-notch customer support

Access this case brief for FREE

With a 7-day free trial membership