The McLaughlins owned a large tract of land. In 1892 and 1893, they conveyed several portions of the land to others. These conveyances included restrictions to the effect that only residences would be built on the land. In 1910 or 1911, the McLeans (defendants) purchased some of the land through a series of conveyances tracing directly to the McLaughlins, whose title did not include the same restriction. The McLeans started to build a gas station on their lot. Sanborn and other neighbors (plaintiffs) sued the McLeans to enjoin the construction of the gas station. The trial court granted the injunction, and the McLeans appealed.