Stringer v. Car Data Systems, Inc.

841 P.2d 1183 (1992)

From our private database of 46,000+ case briefs, written and edited by humans—never with AI.

Stringer v. Car Data Systems, Inc.

Oregon Supreme Court
841 P.2d 1183 (1992)

  • Written by John Caddell, JD

Facts

Stringer (plaintiff), Schubert (plaintiff), and two others collectively owned 43 percent of the stock of Consumer Data Systems (CDS). Thirty-two individuals (defendants), including the entire board of directors, owned the remaining 57 percent. The majority shareholders developed a plan to squeeze out the minority. They created a second corporation, Car Data Systems, Inc. (Car Data), and all 32 majority shareholders transferred their shares in CDS to Car Data in exchange for Car Data shares. Car Data then caused CDS to approve a merger with it, over the objections of Stringer, Schubert, and the two other minority stockholders. Car Data offered them $0.002 per share. Stringer and Schubert rejected the offer and sued the majority shareholders, CDS, and Car Data for breach of fiduciary duty, among other charges. Stringer and Schubert claimed the stock was worth at least $0.10 per share and that the majority shareholders knew their price was unfairly low. The majority shareholders moved to dismiss on the grounds that the appraisal procedure was Stringer and Schubert’s sole remedy. The trial court agreed and found for the majority shareholders. The appeals court affirmed.

Rule of Law

Issue

Holding and Reasoning (Peterson, J.)

What to do next…

  1. Unlock this case brief with a free (no-commitment) trial membership of Quimbee.

    You’ll be in good company: Quimbee is one of the most widely used and trusted sites for law students, serving more than 742,000 law students since 2011. Some law schools—such as Yale, Berkeley, and Northwestern—even subscribe directly to Quimbee for all their law students.

    Unlock this case briefRead our student testimonials
  2. Learn more about Quimbee’s unique (and proven) approach to achieving great grades at law school.

    Quimbee is a company hell-bent on one thing: helping you get an “A” in every course you take in law school, so you can graduate at the top of your class and get a high-paying law job. We’re not just a study aid for law students; we’re the study aid for law students.

    Learn about our approachRead more about Quimbee

Here's why 742,000 law students have relied on our case briefs:

  • Written by law professors and practitioners, not other law students. 46,000 briefs, keyed to 986 casebooks. Top-notch customer support.
  • The right amount of information, includes the facts, issues, rule of law, holding and reasoning, and any concurrences and dissents.
  • Access in your classes, works on your mobile and tablet. Massive library of related video lessons and high quality multiple-choice questions.
  • Easy to use, uniform format for every case brief. Written in plain English, not in legalese. Our briefs summarize and simplify; they don’t just repeat the court’s language.

Access this case brief for FREE

With a 7-day free trial membership
Here's why 742,000 law students have relied on our case briefs:
  • Reliable - written by law professors and practitioners, not other law students
  • The right length and amount of information - includes the facts, issue, rule of law, holding and reasoning, and any concurrences and dissents
  • Access in your class - works on your mobile and tablet
  • 46,000 briefs - keyed to 986 casebooks
  • Uniform format for every case brief
  • Written in plain English - not in legalese and not just repeating the court's language
  • Massive library of related video lessons - and practice questions
  • Top-notch customer support

Access this case brief for FREE

With a 7-day free trial membership