Quimbee logo
DMCA.com Protection Status

Tassi v. Tassi

160 Cal. App. 2d 680 (1958)

Case BriefRelatedOptions
From our private database of 33,800+ case briefs...

Tassi v. Tassi

Court of Appeals of California

160 Cal. App. 2d 680 (1958)

Facts

Mr. and Mrs. Tassi were a married couple. During Mr. and Mrs. Tassi’s marriage, Mr. Tassi operated a self-owned, wholesale-meat business. According to Mrs. Tassi, Mr. Tassi gave certain property to his brother and others (defendants) without Mrs. Tassi’s consent during the marriage. Mrs. Tassi asserted that the properties were community property. After Mr. Tassi’s death, Mrs. Tassi filed suit to recover one-half of the properties from the defendants. To determine what portion of the business’s earnings was community property, the trial court first had to determine the value of Mr. Tassi’s work for the business. Evidence at trial indicated that Mr. Tassi was completely committed to the operation of his business. Expert witnesses testified that the reasonable salary for a general manager in the wholesale-meat business was between $10,000 and $15,000 per year. The trial court characterized 73 percent of Mr. Tassi’s earnings from the business as Mr. Tassi’s separate property at the time Mr. Tassi transferred the properties to defendants. The remaining 27 percent was considered community property. The trial court held that Mrs. Tassi was entitled to recover one-half of the 27 percent that was considered community property. Mrs. Tassi appealed the trial court’s judgment.

Rule of Law

Issue

Holding and Reasoning (Dooling, J.)

What to do next…

  1. Unlock this case brief with a free (no-commitment) trial membership of Quimbee.

    You’ll be in good company: Quimbee is one of the most widely used and trusted sites for law students, serving more than 606,000 law students since 2011. Some law schools—such as Yale, Berkeley, and Northwestern—even subscribe directly to Quimbee for all their law students.

    Unlock this case briefRead our student testimonials
  2. Learn more about Quimbee’s unique (and proven) approach to achieving great grades at law school.

    Quimbee is a company hell-bent on one thing: helping you get an “A” in every course you take in law school, so you can graduate at the top of your class and get a high-paying law job. We’re not just a study aid for law students; we’re the study aid for law students.

    Learn about our approachRead more about Quimbee

Here's why 606,000 law students have relied on our case briefs:

  • Written by law professors and practitioners, not other law students. 33,800 briefs, keyed to 984 casebooks. Top-notch customer support.
  • The right amount of information, includes the facts, issues, rule of law, holding and reasoning, and any concurrences and dissents.
  • Access in your classes, works on your mobile and tablet. Massive library of related video lessons and high quality multiple-choice questions.
  • Easy to use, uniform format for every case brief. Written in plain English, not in legalese. Our briefs summarize and simplify; they don’t just repeat the court’s language.

Access this case brief for FREE

With a 7-day free trial membership
Here's why 606,000 law students have relied on our case briefs:
  • Reliable - written by law professors and practitioners, not other law students
  • The right length and amount of information - includes the facts, issue, rule of law, holding and reasoning, and any concurrences and dissents
  • Access in your class - works on your mobile and tablet
  • 33,800 briefs - keyed to 984 casebooks
  • Uniform format for every case brief
  • Written in plain English - not in legalese and not just repeating the court's language
  • Massive library of related video lessons - and practice questions
  • Top-notch customer support

Access this case brief for FREE

With a 7-day free trial membership