Quimbee logo
DMCA.com Protection Status

Goldsboro Art League v. Commissioner

75 T.C. 337 (1980)

Case BriefRelatedOptions
From our private database of 35,600+ case briefs...

Goldsboro Art League v. Commissioner

United States Tax Court

75 T.C. 337 (1980)

Facts

Goldsboro Art League (Goldsboro) (plaintiff) was a nonprofit organization established to promote the visual arts. Goldsboro’s activities included sponsoring art classes at the local community college, offering art classes for children, sponsoring art demonstrations, giving lectures at the local high school, and giving tours of the North Carolina Museum of Art. Goldsboro also owned several pieces of art and displayed them in public buildings in Wayne County for the public’s enjoyment. In addition, Goldsboro operated two art galleries. These galleries sold artwork, with Goldsboro taking approximately 20 percent of sales as commission and the other 80 percent going to the artists. There were no other art galleries in the area, and Goldsboro chose art to display at the galleries not for its commercial appeal but to demonstrate a variety of modern art techniques and styles. Over the years relevant to this proceeding, Goldsboro’s gross receipts were never more than $6,500 per year, and net profit was never more than $750 per year. Goldsboro applied for tax-exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) (defendant). The IRS found that Goldsboro was indistinguishable from a traditional commercial art gallery and denied the application. Specifically, the IRS found that Goldsboro’s operation of the art gallery and sales of private artists’ works for their benefit constituted a private, commercial purpose. Goldsboro appealed in the United States Tax Court.

Rule of Law

Issue

Holding and Reasoning (Tietjens, J.)

What to do next…

  1. Unlock this case brief with a free (no-commitment) trial membership of Quimbee.

    You’ll be in good company: Quimbee is one of the most widely used and trusted sites for law students, serving more than 618,000 law students since 2011. Some law schools—such as Yale, Berkeley, and Northwestern—even subscribe directly to Quimbee for all their law students.

    Unlock this case briefRead our student testimonials
  2. Learn more about Quimbee’s unique (and proven) approach to achieving great grades at law school.

    Quimbee is a company hell-bent on one thing: helping you get an “A” in every course you take in law school, so you can graduate at the top of your class and get a high-paying law job. We’re not just a study aid for law students; we’re the study aid for law students.

    Learn about our approachRead more about Quimbee

Here's why 618,000 law students have relied on our case briefs:

  • Written by law professors and practitioners, not other law students. 35,600 briefs, keyed to 984 casebooks. Top-notch customer support.
  • The right amount of information, includes the facts, issues, rule of law, holding and reasoning, and any concurrences and dissents.
  • Access in your classes, works on your mobile and tablet. Massive library of related video lessons and high quality multiple-choice questions.
  • Easy to use, uniform format for every case brief. Written in plain English, not in legalese. Our briefs summarize and simplify; they don’t just repeat the court’s language.

Access this case brief for FREE

With a 7-day free trial membership
Here's why 618,000 law students have relied on our case briefs:
  • Reliable - written by law professors and practitioners, not other law students
  • The right length and amount of information - includes the facts, issue, rule of law, holding and reasoning, and any concurrences and dissents
  • Access in your class - works on your mobile and tablet
  • 35,600 briefs - keyed to 984 casebooks
  • Uniform format for every case brief
  • Written in plain English - not in legalese and not just repeating the court's language
  • Massive library of related video lessons - and practice questions
  • Top-notch customer support

Access this case brief for FREE

With a 7-day free trial membership