Play video

Homeowners’ and Renters’ Insurance

Learn about the first-party and third-party coverages in homeowners’ and renters’ insurance policies.


Residential dwellings are insured by policies known as homeowners’ and renters’ policies. These policies are personal-lines insurance, meaning they’re used primarily by individuals rather than businesses. They’re also heavily regulated by state law, with many states requiring specific endorsements be included with all homeowners’ policies issued in that state. Typically, homeowners’ and renters’ policies include both first-party property coverage for damage to the insured property and...